Here is the complete guide information about How to Use Fire stick TV. The Amazon Fire TV Stick is a device joining the ranks of home entertainment streaming technologies. The Fire Stick plugs into your TV’s HDMI port giving you access to your favorite TV shows, movies, subscription services, music, photos, and games. The Fire TV Stick houses all of your favorite content and is easily transportable, so you can take your media anywhere!
Amazon’s Fire TV Sticks are popular streaming sticks that bring app and media functionality to your TV. This page is a comprehensive guide for using a Fire Stick after completing the Fire Stick setup process.
What you get with the Fire TV Stick
Imagine being able to take your TV with you when you go on vacation. That’s the functionality you get with the Fire TV Stick. The Fire TV Stick houses all of your content and is completely portable. Simply remove your device and take it with you when you travel. Plug it into any compatible TV to gain instant access to all of your favorite videos.
If you are an Amazon Prime member, your Fire TV Stick comes pre-registered to your account. You have immediate access to all of your Amazon Prime content as soon as you plug your Fire TV Stick into your HDMI port. Being a Prime member also lets you choose from a cache of Amazon Originals that cannot be accessed by the average user.
When you receive your box from Amazon, you will have everything you need to make the Fire TV Stick work. In the box you will find your new Fire TV Stick, the remote, a USB cable and power adapter, HDMI extender, 2 AAA batteries, and a guide to get you started.
In addition, you get the following features:
- 1 GB of memory
- 8 GB of internal storage
- Optional voice support
- Dual-band, dual-antenna Wi-Fi
- A dedicated VideoCore4 GPU
How to Use the Fire TV Stick Remote
There have been a number of different Fire TV Stick remotes released over the years, but they all generally function the same.
Note: Your remote is paired to your device during the Fire TV Stick setup process. You can also pair more than one remote to a Fire TV Stick if needed.
Press the small circle button at the top of the remote with the microphone or white circle icon before saying a voice command—the large ring functions as arrow keys for navigating the Fire TV Stick operating system and apps. Press the large ring’s center to make a selection when you highlight an item on the TV.
Use the button with the house icon to return to the Fire Stick Home screen. The button with three horizontal lines on it brings up an additional menu when pressed. It kind of works like a right-click on a mouse or a long press on a smartphone or tablet.
The arrow button to the left of the Home button is the Back button. Press it to return to the previous screen in an app or menu.
The media control buttons are pretty self-explanatory, though it’s important to note that the Play button also wakes a Fire Stick from sleep.
How to set up the Fire TV Stick
Yes, that USB Micro cord and power adapter that came with the Fire TV Stick might not be necessary for getting the Fire Stick up and running, but you’ll want it to ensure faster performance.
Here’s everything you need to get the Fire TV Stick up and running and streaming all of your favorite content.
- Plug the USB Micro cable into the power adapter.
- Plug the other end into into the Fire TV Stick.
- Plug the Fire TV Stick into an HDMI port in your TV.
- Press Home on your remote.
f you have trouble with this step, try using the remote control closer to the Fire TV Stick, holding Home for 10 seconds and changing out to fresh batteries. If those steps don’t work (they didn’t for us), just unplug the power supply from the Fire TV Stick, wait a minute and plug that back in.
- Press Play/Pause on your remote.
- Select Your Language.
- Select your Wi-Fi network.
- Enter your password and select Connect.
- Select Sign In or Create an Account. Let’s assume that you have an Amazon account, and the below steps follow selecting Sign In.
- On a phone, tablet or computer, open amazon.com/code, sign in and enter the unique activation code you get in step 2.
- Select Continue, because selecting Change account would imply you just signed in with the wrong ID.
- Select Yes or No to opt in or out of storing connected network passwords with Amazon. I personally opt for No.
- Opt in or out of parental controls.
- If you selected yes, enter your parental control PIN, and make a note of it somewhere your kid won’t find.
- Select OK after noting where Parental Controls are managed.
- If your Fire TV Stick’s remote is TV controls compatible, you’ll now hit Next to make sure it works right
- Adjust volume and then click Yes to confirm.
- Click OK.
- Sign up for Amazon Kids+ (it may show you a message for Prime if you don’t have Prime) or opt-out. Wondering why you’d want Prime? Check out our guide to the best Prime Video movies and shows to learn more.
- Select Get Started to walk through Amazon’s app downloads on-boarding, or click No Thanks to skip past. It’s always very weird to see what apps get suggested and which don’t.
- Select the popular services you want, and click right to TV channels. The selected apps below are the ones I’d actually use.
- Select the TV channel apps you want, and click right to sports apps.
- Select the sports apps you want, and click right to the featured apps. If you can’t watch the apps you want in your country, you may want to check out our Do you need a VPN on Fire Stick? Explainer.
- Select the featured services you want, and click Play to proceed.
- Click Finish to download apps.
- Click Got It to proceed.
- Enter Parental Controls PIN (obviously, skip this step if you didn’t set up a Parental Controls PIN).
- Select a user profile.
How to update the Fire TV Stick
In late 2020 and early 2021, Amazon began rolling out a new interface for the Fire TV Sticks and Cube. If your device hasn’t updated yet, it’s easy to get it there in 5 easy steps, listed below. The new interface is a bit slicker, but is still full of ways to maximize your Prime membership, if you have one.
- Open Settings at the top of the home screen.
- Scroll right to select Device.
- Select About.
- Select Check for System Update.
- Follow the prompts to update your Fire TV Stick.
How to Install Apps on Fire TV Stick
Installing apps on the Fire TV Stick is pretty easy, thanks to Alexa. Sure, you could spend your time clicking around the interface, selecting the magnifying glass and typing in an app’s name, but you don’t have to.
Instead of clicking around, the on-screen keyboard (found by selecting the magnifying glass at the far left end of the menu). You can just talk to Alexa, by holding down the Alexa/microphone button, and saying the name of an app.
Alternatively, you can do this the old-fashioned way:
- Select Find on the Fire TV home screen.
- Select search yes, skip the App Store button, it’s cluttered and doesn’t have a search option.
- Here you could use Alexa, by pressing and holding the mic button and talking for voice search, or you could type out an app’s name and select the connected results.
- Select that app from the results screen.
- Select Get.
- Select Open.
You’ve downloaded and opened an app!