Here is the complete guide information about How Does The Amazon Firestick Work. The Amazon Fire TV Stick is a device joining the ranks of home entertainment streaming technologies.
The Fire Stick plugs into your TV’s HDMI port giving you access to your favorite TV shows, movies, subscription services, music, photos, and games. The Fire TV Stick houses all of your favorite content and is easily transportable, so you can take your media anywhere!
What is Amazon FireStick?
FireStick is a streaming device that connects to your TV and lets you stream content over the internet. FireStick is officially branded as Amazon Fire TV Stick. However, it and more popularly known as just FireStick. FireStick is an Android-based device. However, unlike most Android devices, FireStick does not support Google Play Services. It uses the modified Android OS and supports Amazon Store.
With FireStick, you can stream movies, shows, live TV, and just about anything you can think of. You can download dozens of apps from the Amazon Store, including the most popular ones, such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, and more.
Additionally, FireStick also lets you sideload third-party apps that are not available on Amazon Store.
What does FireStick do?
In short, here are some of the things FireStick would do for you:
- Stream Videos (Movies, Shows, etc.)
- Stream Music
- Play Games
- Get answers and information using Alexa (voice-controlled AI)
Amazon Fire TV Stick is primarily a video streaming device. It is its ability to effortlessly bring entertainment to your home that has made it so popular.
You can get streaming apps from Amazon Store or sideload third-party apps (discussed later in the guide). You can get Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and almost anything you want. Likewise, you can also download and play games on FireStick. However, some games require the Amazon Fire TV Game Controller. It is sold separately on Amazon. Honestly, FireStick is not really known for its gaming abilities.
Alexa, the voice-controlled AI, is one of the biggest draws of FireStick and Fire TV. Alexa will do a lot of things for you. Just push the mic button on your remote and ask Alexa to open apps, give the weather report, find the sushi restaurants nearby, or even tell a joke. If you are using Fire TV Cube, Alexa will even control your smart devices and appliances.
How does FireStick Work?
Fire Stick is a straightforward streaming device. I have used almost all streaming devices including Roku, Chromecast, Android TV Boxes. I can confidently say that it has the most user-friendly interface. It is just too easy to use.
Let’s see how FireStick works.
Getting Started with FireStick
Once you take FireStick out of the box, here are a few things you need to do first:
- Insert the batteries in the remote
- Plug FireStick into the HDMI port of your TV. You may also use the HDMI extender that comes shipped with the device.
- Turn ON your TV and choose the HDMI port as the source in which you plugged in your FireStick
- Connect FireStick to the power source
- Wait for FireStick to power up
Initial FireStick Set up
When you use FireStick for the first time after taking it out of the box, you will need to set it up. The setup process is easy. We have provided a complete set of instructions in our detailed guide: How to set up Amazon FireStick.
During the setup, you will be required to:
- Connect to a Wi-Fi: Make sure you have a Wi-Fi connection, and it is within reach of FireStick.
- Sign up with your Amazon account: Your FireStick needs to be tied to an Amazon account. You cannot set it up without one. If you don’t have an Amazon account, create a free account via the Amazon web portal. If you have an Amazon account with a Prime membership, I recommend signing in with the same account. There’s a huge collection of Prime content you wouldn’t want to miss. If you bought FireStick via Amazon, the device will already come signed in with your Amazon account if you chose the option ‘Link to my Amazon account to simplify setup’ during sign-up.
Get your favorite apps and channels from the Amazon Store
Amazon FireStick supports hundreds of apps and channels. There are two ways you can download them from the Amazon App Store.
- If you are looking for something specific, choose the Find > Search option from the FireStick home screen (menu bar in the middle).
- Now, type the name of the app you wish to get and follow the on-screen instructions to download it from the Store.
There is another way to get the apps and channels from the Amazon Store. You can explore the complete list and choose the ones you wish to download.
- Choose Find > App Store from the FireStick home screen.
- Here, you will find 4 options to choose from: All your Apps, Featured, Games, and All Categories.
- In the Featured section, you will find the popular apps and channels recommended by Amazon.
- I usually decide All Categories to explore all the options category-wise.
- Here, you will find all the possible categories you can think of, including Movies & TV, News, Music & Audio, Business, Communication, and more.
- When you click a category, you see the list of the related channels. For instance, upon clicking Movies & TV, this is what I see:
So, that is how you get your favorite apps and channels from the Amazon Store.
How Does Firestick Work for Free Streaming
This is the best part of Firestick which makes it so popular among cord-cutters. The device is very much capable to stream unlimited free content including movies, shows, documentaries, sports, and more.
If you want to explore the true potential of FireStick or Fire TV, jail breaking is the way to go. After jail breaking, you will have access to loads of free content. Whether you like movies, shows, or live TV, you will get it all.
Jail breaking is easy, and our step-by-step guide makes sure it is even easier
Jailbreaking may sound a little overwhelming, but trust me, it is not. We call it “jailbreak” because resellers have made this term quite popular. The process includes the installation of certain third-party apps that allow you to stream free content. Here are some of the quick facts:
- Jailbreaking DOES NOT harm your device
- Jailbreaking DOES NOT void warranty
- Jailbreaking DOES NOT require any technical knowledge
Install third-party APKs
While the jailbreak process shows you the installation of the most popular apps, there are tons of other third-party APKs that you can install on your device.
After setting up your FireStick, take a look at the list of the best FireStick apps we have put together.
You will find some of the most popular apps here. You will also find the links to the installation guides to get you started.
What’s the difference between a Fire Stick and a Fire TV?
The full name of the Fire Stick is the Amazon Fire TV Stick. “Fire TV” is Amazon’s name for all their streaming devices, most of which are streaming sticks.
There are four different versions of the Fire Stick, and each of them has slightly different features.
- The Fire TV Stick is the base model, and lets you stream all your favorite apps in HD.
- The Fire TV Stick Lite also streams in HD, but the remote that comes with it doesn’t let you change the volume or turn your TV on and off.
- The Fire TV Stick 4K lets you stream in 4K resolution, which is better than HD and the best widely available resolution that TVs are sold with today. Just note that you’ll need a 4K television for this.
- The Fire TV Stick 4K Max also streams in 4K, but supports Wi-Fi 6, the fastest wireless internet connection available.
Amazon also sells the Fire TV Cube, a 4K streaming device that can natively connect to the internet with an Ethernet cable, making it faster than the streaming sticks.
Is there a monthly fee for Fire Stick?
NO. There is no monthly fee associated with Amazon Fire TV Stick and other Fire TV variants. All you have to do is buy the device, and you can start streaming.
What channels are free with the Firestick?
Amazon Firestick allows you to watch hundreds of channels, which includes free as well as paid options. You can take a look at this list of best Fire Stick channels for detailed information.
Does Amazon Fire Stick need an Internet connection?
Yes. You must have a good speed internet connection for Fire TV Stick to work.
Do I need a VPN for Firestick?
You don’t need a VPN for Firestick to work. However, if you are streaming with low-cost or free services, it is advisable to get a good VPN for keeping your online activities private. Here is a list of 10 reasons why everyone should use a VPN.